Crack in front wall
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
raffs
Labourer
Labourer

Crack in front wall

by raffs » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:09 pm

Hi 2 years ago I had a retaining wall built at the front of my property, I have recently noticed a small thin crack running from the top of the wall following the mortar line for 2 brick widths then through the middle of two facing bricks. There are no other cracks in the wall, no damage to the wall there is no weight at the top of the wall where the crack starts and all the weepers are free of debris and working well. This wall forms a boundry between my property and a pavement. Not being very experianced in DIY I would apreciate any advice you think relevant.

Many Thanks

Steven

canny
Tradesman
Tradesman

by canny » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:39 pm

Hi, its probably due to movement from the weight behind the wall. With all this wet weather we have had over the last 3 years the soil mass expands and moves when wet, so that can apply pressure to the wall. Repoint the wall and see if it breaks up again. good chance it may not. If it does you might have to rebuild wall or you can try digging soil away from the back of the wall anf fill the void with gravel which will improve drainage and take up some of the movement from the soil base..good luck

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:38 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:29 am