Crack in Grout Around Window Sill

Postby raymitchell » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:53 pm

Several weeks ago a crack two inches long formed in the grout on part of my windowsill. I removed the existing grout and applied new grout but it keeps on forming a crack in the same place. As the grout is near the edge and fixed to the PVC window frame I think that the PVC frame is moving when the weather is hot and the crack is forming. Does anyone know how to stop this happening?

Kind regards

Ray
raymitchell

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby plumbbob » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:24 pm

You can't use grout for gaps that will either move or expand at different rates. uPVC does both - flexes and expands more than tiles. The gap should be filled with a bead of white silicone.
plumbbob

Postby raymitchell » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:12 am

We have a large grouted border around the kitchen window sill tiles of about 2 cms. The rest of the window sill is fine apart from a two inch section. :(
raymitchell

Postby rosebery » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:23 pm

Bob is right. I thinkyou should do as he suggests or sooner or later it will become biger than a 2" problem.

Cheers
rosebery

Postby www.tileexperience.co.uk » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:32 pm

hi new to this site, but not to tiles.
i think you are lucky a crack hasn't appeard before now. i agree with the others and suggest a bead of silicone.
there are flexible grouts you could use if you really want, but you may have to add additional flexible additive and there still wouldn't be a guarantee.
www.tileexperience.co.uk

Sort by
Order by