Cracked Brickwork Following Patio Door Replacement
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tonyinyork
Labourer
Labourer

Cracked Brickwork Following Patio Door Replacement

by tonyinyork » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:07 am

Hi

We recently had our patio door replaced by a FENSA approved double glazing company and there is now a pronounced inverted V crack over the soldier brick course. The images below show the full extent of the crack and the left hand end detail. The right hand end is very similar.
I have contacted the installers twice now by phone and once by email but am getting no responses. My main concerns are over safety - can anyone advise what I need to get done if I cannot get the installers to respond please?
I don't know if there is a lintel but, according to the web this style of building (built in the 50's) used a soldier course over the top of a strong enough wooden door frame to hold the rest of the brickwork up - suggesting it may not have a lintel.
Any advice please?
Thanks, Tony
Attachments
Right hand end
Right hand end
Left hand detail
Left hand detail
Overall view of the crack
Overall view of the crack

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Cracked Brickwork Following Patio Door Replacement

by collectors » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:26 pm

I would seriously get at least 3 acros fitted with "Strong Boy Support Attachments" ASP to temporarily hold up the wall before it gets worse. I am surprised the patio door still opens.
It looks like no catnic lintel has been fitted. Its possible the door will have to come out then an area of bricks to come out. Then fit new lintel, brick up & reinstate door. It would be a 2/3 day job minimum depending how much work is involved with internal plastering.

tonyinyork
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Cracked Brickwork Following Patio Door Replacement

by tonyinyork » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:36 am

Thanks for some very useful advice.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:09 pm