Cracking noises in solid oak flooring?
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Joiner_Mike
Ganger
Ganger

Cracking noises in solid oak flooring?

by Joiner_Mike » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:46 pm

Hi I have recently fitted a solid russian oak flooring grade A&B onto a sleeper system. Visqueen then 3"x2" framework at 200mm centres then the solid wood running perpendicular fixed with tongue tite screws. The next day when i went back to do another room the floor was making cracking noises when walked on, after walking on it for 2 mins it stopped. When i went back the following day the same happened again. Can anyone please explain what the problem might be and how I could stop this from happening in the other rooms.
Thank you all for your time

mack4
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mack4 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:47 pm

As you have probably noticed by now your flooring will have quietened down.When hardwood floors are new they can take a little time to "bed" in.It can be a bit alarming when the floor creaks and no one is around. :shock:

mack4
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mack4 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:58 pm

By the time you get this your floor will have quietened down.It can take a little time for new hardwood floors to "bed" in, what you are hearing are stress noises (floor tightening) nothing to worry about.Though it can be a bit spooky when there's no one else around! :shock:

Joiner_Mike
Ganger
Ganger

by Joiner_Mike » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:04 am

cheers for your reply. Hope so i havent been back to the house for a while, next time i go i'll let you know how it is. Cheers again for your reply

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:00 pm