CRACKS APPEARING!
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
vw754
Ganger
Ganger

CRACKS APPEARING!

by vw754 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:00 pm

I recently purchased a 3 bed semi (approx 1930's) when i purchased it,it had been empty and UN-heated for around 14+months.

I then had new central heating fitted,i had it skimmed (full house) and then let the plaster dry naturally for around 6 months,after 6 months i had it painted watered down matt paint.

The painter then mixed pva in the paint (acylic egg shell) and painted all the house,after 2-3 weeks of it being painted i finally moved in.

Now ive noticed cracking along the bottom of the wall where it joins the top of the skirting not big cracks and not hairline cracks,inbetween i'd say.

I was told its normal as the house has been heated/lived in after nearly 17 months. Ive only noticed the cracks in some places only..like stairs,living room (on bottom of one wall-along top of skirting) and one hairline crack by the edge of bedroom window.

This something to worry about or is this normal ?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:34 pm

normal i'd say. there is often a slight separation between skirting and wall, commonly filled with caulk. this will crack due to the two different substrates and wooden skirting,as with all interior and exterior wood, is affected by heat and humidity fluctuations. this causes expansion and contraction and consequently cracks appear. not much you can do about it except continually fill and paint!

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:51 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 pm