Creating shower room
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Judie
Labourer
Labourer

Creating shower room

by Judie » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:19 am

Can you please help me - we're making a new shower room. Waterproof plasterboard was used and this has been skim coated by a plasterer.

Do we need to seal the plaster (a) before tiling and (b) before painting? If so, what with.

We are also tiling the chipboard floor, does this need to be sealed?

Do we tile the entire floor and then fit the shower tray or fit the shower tray and then tile up to it? (We've seen both ways in DIY books!)

Think that's all - but any 'words of wisdom' would be appreciated! Thanks.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:30 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

Judie
Labourer
Labourer

Shower room

by Judie » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:28 pm

Trouble is so often people have asked things that aren't quite what we want to know, therefore, we worded our questions to suit our particular circumstances and were hoping to get some help. Heigh ho......guess we just have to go trawling around....or ask somewhere else. :(

swidders
Ganger
Ganger

by swidders » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:27 pm

If you want to be safe then use something like http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=12 ... oofing-Kit
which you may be able to get if you shop around.

If you don't want to bother then i'd seal the wall with a watered down waterpoof pva - not so much to prevent water ingress but to make tiling a bit easier. Similarly on the floor. Personally I'd get the tray in first (bedded on a mortar mix or floor tile adhesive to help ensure total support, prevention of movement and to help get exactly level) for three reasons:
1/. less of a step into it (10-15mm does make a difference - ask my wife lol)
2/. less chance of cracking a tile which lies part way under it over a period of time
3/. since you may have to use mortar/adhesive to level it exactly, you may have an unparallel line between the bottom of the tray and the floor, which will be much harder to satisfactorily fill and less attractive.

I would finally advise that you don't use ready mixed tile adhesive for the wall tiles and instead get powdered stuff from a tiling shop which you can mix to your own preferred consistency (using a paint paddle and slowish drill(I use a battery drill)), is easier to wipe off / clean out joints as you go and less likely to get caked on your hands!

hope this helps

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:03 am