Crown Gloss Paint Problem
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
simon_c
Labourer
Labourer

Crown Gloss Paint Problem

by simon_c » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:14 pm

Hi,

I have been having a problem painting my front door with a Crown gloss and wondered if anyone could help.

The door was initially painted with a brown gloss which after an hour of sanding with an electric sander and brushing the dust off before wiping with a wet cloth and leaving to dry, I applied a thin coat of paint and left to dry. Everything looked great until two days later we had a hot day and the morning after this I noticed a lot of "wrinkles", as attached.

Once again, I sanded the problem areas and then repainted with again, a very thin layer before leaving to dry. I made sure I did it when I knew the weather was going to be dry and cool (it has been 18/20 degrees most of this week). The door looked fine for 6 days, we did not have a hot day but again, the same happened.

I believed I had followed the instructions to the letter, I can honestly say I did not apply too much and made sure it was going to be cool. No undercoat was used as the instructions said not to and it also said not to stir the paint prior to commencing.

Does anyone have any ideas to save me pulling my hair out?

Kind Regards

Simon

Photo of the wrinkling;

gc1967
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Crown Gloss Paint Problem

by gc1967 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:26 pm

With all that sanding down and then just putting on gloss no wonder you had problems, all timber should be primed if any bare wood, then undercoated and then glossed

simon_c
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Crown Gloss Paint Problem

by simon_c » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:05 pm

Thanks for the reply.

It wasn't timber, it was a metal door with wood centre. The paint specifically said no undercoat needed though :(

Not to worry, ended up buying a new door and have since moved house.

All the best

Simon

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:03 am