cu wiring and tails
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
steve bain
Tradesman
Tradesman

cu wiring and tails

by steve bain » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:01 pm

evening all.

i asked about the bulk of wiring travelling up the wall and from the advice on here i think surface mounted is the way forward.

problem no.2.
my mains enters on the right hand side of the cupboard with the meter to the left and cu to the left of that. my main isolator for the cu is on the left of the unit with the tails below it. the bulk of wires run up the wall to the right below the meter. am i allowed to run the bulk of wires across the tails at 90 degrees? or do i have to run them along the bottom of the cu. up the side and in the top. running around 3 sides of the cu instead of one. so really my main question i can the wires cross the tails?

i am installing all new 17th ed and having it signed of at the end. i have done it like this before with no problems and undestand the rules and regs, but have simple questions i do not want to pester the sparky with as i'm not paying for him to tell me, just to check it. i hope this makes sense.

i know a picture would help but i don't have a camera. sorry.
cheers, steve

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:14 pm

"ha ha, thats funny. i have all of that under control. i'm an architect"

Does this ring a bell.
Do you realise that an installation should not be inspected and tested by a person that has not performed it or been part of installing the installation.
It can't be possible and it should not be done. For the sake of your safety get an electrician on board now!
No camara your an architect?

KB

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:45 pm

Hi, no reason not to cross tails but wiring behind,tails in front probably best as will allow circuits to be clipped whereas tails usually 'float'.
much better if wiring enters con.unit from below/sides rather than top since IP rating of top board much tighter than other faces, due to possibility of items dropping in from above, must be fully sealed after wiring if top entry used,
regards SPARX

steve bain
Tradesman
Tradesman

by steve bain » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:53 pm

sparx. Thanks for the advice. very helpful. I would have preferred the wires to enter from the bottom due to dirt /dust etc having a harder time getting into the unit as you state and hassle of sealing it all up. Thanks again, very much appreciated.

kbrownie. please don't doctor my quotes to make me sound like an idiot. i'm sorry if i have offended you somehow. i promise everythin i am doing is above board and legal and within regulations. i am simply asking for advice on details which can quickly and easily be answered on the net.

original quote:
'ha ha, thats funny. i have all of that under control. i'm an architect, not a sparky, hence the questions on the details.'

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:47 pm

Thinking about the safety of you, your family and property mate!
I'm not offended. i want to make sure you are doing the right thing.
You do know if building regs are not complied to and certed, you are breaking the law and your house insurance is likely to invalid.
Sparx has offered you great advice as always.
Didn't doctor your post, that's what you put, the point I was making is that you didn't have a camara and you didn't seem to have things under control regarding the installation and the correct procedures of inspecting and testing, so if I've offended you I appologise too.
KB

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:30 pm