Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jan55
Labourer
Labourer

cutting a 4" horizontal cast iron soil pipe

by jan55 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:52 am

Hi

I would welcome any tips on what tool to use to cut a 4" cast iron pipe protruding from the wall so I can then fit a close coupled toilet. The height of the pipe is fine as it currently has toilet fixed into a cemented collar..

Thanks

Jan[/list]

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:53 pm

I'd think a hacksaw would give the best result. There are snap cutters but if you end up breaking the pipe it'll be a mare of a job to replace it.

Louis
Labourer
Labourer

cutting a 4" horizontal cast iron soil pipe

by Louis » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:27 pm

I have the same problem. I am thinking of cutting the cast iron soil pipe with an angle grinder...........Keeping my fingers crossed!! Am I doing the right thing?

jan55
Labourer
Labourer

Re: cutting a 4" horizontal cast iron soil pipe

by jan55 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:53 am

[quote="Louis"]I have the same problem. I am thinking of cutting the cast iron soil pipe with an angle grinder...........Keeping my fingers crossed!! Am I doing the right thing?[/quote]
I am coming to the same conclusion, it has to be a 9" angle grinder to get through the pipe in one cut. I looked at 'snap cutters' but there is probably not enough clearance around the pipe for this to be workable.

Louis
Labourer
Labourer

Re: cutting a 4" horizontal cast iron soil pipe

by Louis » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:12 pm

[quote="jan55"][quote="Louis"]I have the same problem. I am thinking of cutting the cast iron soil pipe with an angle grinder...........Keeping my fingers crossed!! Am I doing the right thing?[/quote]
I am coming to the same conclusion, it has to be a 9" angle grinder to get through the pipe in one cut. I looked at 'snap cutters' but there is probably not enough clearance around the pipe for this to be workable.[/quote]
Thanks for your reply. I have been told to stay clear from snap cutters, because, the soil pipe being cast iron, it is quite brittle, and if the corrosion is too bad, it might crack the pipe altogether. I think, the angle grinder, might be the best option. Might be doing this job at the weekend. If you like, I let you know, how I got on.

jan55
Labourer
Labourer

by jan55 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:07 pm

Update. Job now done. I only just got through it with a 12" angle grinder. As the machines get bigger there are more bits to get in the way. I had to cut quite close to the wall as well which did not help. My cast iron was in perfect condition and it is heavy. If you have help it might be worth someone holding/supporting the piece coming off if a clean straight cut is important, Goggles essential, lots of sparks and afterwards you realise how much dust gets generated so suggest a face mask. Good luck!

Louis
Labourer
Labourer

by Louis » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:46 pm

Alas! I managed to cut the cast iron soil pipe! I found it easier using a 4 ½ inch angle grinder. I see what you mean about the dust. Thanks to you, I managed to cover most of the bathroom suite beforehand. Like you, I cut the soil pipe flash to the wall, and still have a gap of 20mm between the cistern and the wall. Pleased to see this job over and done with!

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:05 pm