Cutting a kitchen worktop.
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kev85
Labourer
Labourer

Cutting a kitchen worktop.

Post by kev85 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:16 pm

Hi guys, this may be quite a difficult question to answer without knowing my ability but here goes....
I have fitted my new kitchen without the help of a qualified joiner but now i'm up to the point where i need to install my worktops. My main question is this, is it difficult to use a router and jig to get a perfect join or would you recommend using worktop joining strips as an amature DIY person?

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Oddbod » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:59 pm

Hi. It's not really difficult, but it does take a bit of practice, and a heavy duty (half inch) router. If you don;t get it spot on you can be left with an unsightly gap. Even my heart quickens a bit when faced with an expensive worktop and an out of square mitre!

If you haven't already got the kit it is going to be expensive - although you can hire both thte router and the jig - I suspect you'll have to buy the router bit.

If you do this, but a very cheap bit of worktop offcut and practice - at least four times - then fit a new router bit, take a deep breath and go for it.

Alternatively you might find a friendly fitter to cut and fit the worktop for you.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:52 pm