All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
russellfl
Ganger
Ganger

cutting a soil pipe

Post by russellfl » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:51 am

Can anyone help?

I need to move a toilet internally which entails extending the soil pipe from it's present position to about 1.5 metres away. the pipe comes into the sub floor area directly below the toilet and has a wide socket on it. another pipe is cemented into the socket and extends to floor level where the toilet pan connector connects to it. The pipe is a tan/brown colour but I don't know what it's made of. I've tried a temporary cut using an angle grinder and it has made a score in it but it would be very hard to cut. I've looked at using a pipe chain cutter but i'm told I would need to get access all the way around the pipe, and as it's near to a wall this isn't an option.

Any ideas?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:34 pm

sounds like it's clay. use a hack saw. might need a few blades to get through.

russellfl
Ganger
Ganger

cutting a soil pipe

Post by russellfl » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:27 pm

Thanks Chris, Can you imagine my joy? I started cutting the clay pipe just below the socket and managed after 1/2 hour to get in about two inches long by 1/2 inch deep, then climbing out of the floor I fell against the pipe and the next i knew it had cracked neatly exactly where I wanted it, I stuck a band connector on and new plastic and it's all aok. How lucky was that?
Cheers for the info

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:53 pm