cutting a worktop
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sarah haskoll
Labourer
Labourer

cutting a worktop

by sarah haskoll » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:22 am

Help! I need to cut 3cm off an existing kitchen worktop to make room for a larger fridgefreezer. I am assuming that this is possible with a good jigsaw but am concerned about chipping the plastic laminate surface and making it unsightly. I have thought about soring with a stanley knife first - any tips / advise most welcome. Cheers.

billy d
Apprentice
Apprentice

by billy d » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:00 am

Hi Sarah Bosch have a new jig saw blade that would be just the thing for this job.No scoring needed just cut,it's number is Bosch T 308 BF.
Hope this helps Billy.

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:10 pm

To assist with the cutting lay a strip of masking tape onto the surface to be cut, and cut through it as well as the worktop.

You may also want to lay further strips to the side you are keeping to prevent the sole plate of the jigsaw from scratching the surface.

broggsy
Labourer
Labourer

by broggsy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:20 am

I would personally cut it rough with a jigsaw and then finish it off with a router and a kitchen worktop bit if the worktop is removable

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Place the edge of 2" wide tape along the line you are going to cut. This prevents the jigsaw from scratching th laminate surface, and makes it easier to follow the line. Use a medium down cut blade such as the Bosch T101BR.

[url]http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=1228&id=61071&p=http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;jsessionid=QCX3MD50SN2DYCSTHZOSFFI?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=T101BR&x=7&y=6[/url]

This blade will guarantee a splinter free cut!

BoyElectric
Apprentice
Apprentice

by BoyElectric » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:31 pm

All good advice, but you're all forgetting one thing . . . if the back edge of the worktop is against a wall, it's almost impossible to cut the side off and make a neat job of it. The sole plate of any jigsaw or router will hit the wall before you finish the cut - then what? The only way to do it neatly is to remove the worktop . . . not a simple job, especially if it's mitred to another one!

Assuming you remove the worktop or if the edge of the worktop you need to cut is protruding into the room, router is best (if you have one), but jigsaw and the right blade will do fine. If using a jigsaw, I suggest clamping a straight edge to the worktop (on the side you're keeping!) to guide the sole plate of the router. Offset the straight edge from the cutting line at the distance between the jigsaw blade and the edge of the sole plate. This will ensure the jigsaw stays exactly on line and wont cut into the worktop section you intend to keep.

jaydott
Labourer
Labourer

cutting worktop

by jaydott » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:01 pm

hi sarah if you haven't cut the worktop ghe do it my way, take the worktop off of the units to cut, cut the worktop upside down and cut from the nose inwards no chips or anything i promis i do it for my job and plus dont use a jig saw use a skill saw (Circular Saw) does the job just remember to take your time and cut str8

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:39 am