Cutting floorboards
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
prbaxter
Tradesman
Tradesman

Cutting floorboards

by prbaxter » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:49 am

Hello,

In our tiny tiny bathroom, before I fit the appliances and wotnots, I need to get under the floor to re-lay the old radiator pipework with 15mm pipe - and a few other things.

i need to get access to most of the underfloor, so could do with some advice on chopping the boards.

I'm thinking that I need to cut the boards diagonally above the supporting joist so I can refix them securely. Is there a quick way to do this. I was thinking of buying a small disked circular saw. Need to cut about 12 boards.

I cant lift the whole boards out as they go under the stud wall to the room adjacent.

Any advice welcome...

Prb

Joiner_Mike
Ganger
Ganger

Cutting your floor boards

by Joiner_Mike » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:05 am

Hi
Sorry if my post is late as i have only just joined and was browsing though the posts.
If you haven't done it yet. I would use a circular saw and set the depth so it didn't cut anymore than required. Due to sometimes pipes and wires been resessed into the top of the joists.
Cut the boards down the center of the joists so when you re-fit them there is still half a joist suporting the floor.
If you go off anywhere u can just screw timber to the side of the joist so it catches the board.
Make sure when you re-fit the board that all 4 outer edges of the flooring is supported by timber

prbaxter
Tradesman
Tradesman

by prbaxter » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:51 am

as it turned out, the boards were already cut under the bath where the old pipes had been installed.

they just popped out and i had full access to all piping.

should've thought of that.

Bax

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:16 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm