Cutting in a new window
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
peterwg
Labourer
Labourer

Cutting in a new window

by peterwg » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:00 pm

I have a small bathroom with no window, and plan to insert a 400mm W x 300mm H double glazed hard timber framed window. The window will be in the middle of a large exterior cavity wall. I plan to add one row of decorative bricks above the window to match the other windows.

Casual opinion is that the window can just slot in, with cavity moisture drainage protection as described on this site.

Q. I do not want to make a much larger hole to put in a lintel if I can avoid it, and if the wall WILL take it. What do you advise, Please?

john60wales
Apprentice
Apprentice

lintel

by john60wales » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:48 pm

You really should use a lintel. Its up to you of course & I suppose it depends on how many courses of bricks/blocks are above the window - the more there are the heavier they'll be. Some walls are built with 'rat runs' - every so often a brick is placed acrross the gap between the courses. This [as well as supposedly making it difficult for rats] give the walls added strength.
Personally I'd put in a lintel & forgo the fancy stuff..
Cheers
John

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:19 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:08 pm