D&D thickness requirement
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
el-d
Labourer
Labourer

D&D thickness requirement

by el-d » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:34 pm

Hi All,
I'm in the process of building a framework within an open chimney ( lintels approx 150cm height) so that I can house the plasma screen and centre speaker.

I've stripped away the old plaster from the chimney so that I could raise the lintel. I'm at the stage where I want to fit the plasterboard to cover the brick and frame the tv etc. In the past, I've always fitted plasterboard with screws to stud work but in this case, I'd be trying to fit to brick which makes screwing harder.

Thus I am looking at D&D. However from what I've seen online, the D&D method uses fairly chunky dollops and ideally I want it to be almost flat to the brickwork. Is there a minimum depth that it needs to be to support the weight? or is this generally done to enable squidging to get a nice vertical line?

As the area isn't that large ( 150*200 cm) and will have a tv(46") size section remove from the middle, is it possible to use soemthing like no nails? Would that be strong enough?

Thanks in advance.
Tim

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:27 pm

el-d,
There's a new squirt-on foam for this job, sorry don't know what it's called - ask at you local builders merchant.
end

el-d
Labourer
Labourer

by el-d » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:55 am

Cheers.

A bit off googling and I found these.

"everbuild.co.uk/products/search/PINKGRIP%20DRY%20FIX"

"building.dow.com/europe/uk/proddata/adhesealant/instastikmp/"

Just annoying you need the special gun... no doubt good if you are doing alot of plasterboard sticking but I'm only doing a bit.

El-d

el-d
Labourer
Labourer

by el-d » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:23 pm

weird.. i did post a response but it seems to have vanished.

Looks like the foam is, if you Google the following, either:

"gorillahardware.co.uk/acatalog/Board_Foam.html"

"diyweek.net/products/product.asp?id=1519"

Tim

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:37 pm

Use board adhesive, dabs will squash in as you tap the board to level and straight, lots of dabs two inch tall, evenly spaced out should do you.
KB

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:43 pm

Both these products are horribly expensive compared with conventional bagged drywall adhesive 25kg of which will cost you around £ 7.00. For a 6' x 5' area you'll use most of a bag (most peeps don't use nearly enough of the stuff). Take no notice of the sites which tell you to use one in each corner and one in the middle. Thats nowhere near enough. Bagged stuff sets rock hard in about 80 minutes. The foam in your second link takes 12 hours. The one in your first link requires that you buy the special gun as well - good grief!

If you do the math on your costings I think you'll probably be using the bagged!!

Cheers

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:38 am