Damaged Cable
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sgoldswo
Labourer
Labourer

Damaged Cable

by sgoldswo » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:31 pm

When working in my loft last weekend I slipped while drilling and the chuck (not the drill bit) caught a lighting cable sleeve. The outer sleeve has been penetrated and the cables are visible underneath (I can't see copper but the inner sleeve is slightly damaged). My conservative instinct says replace the entire cable junction box to junction box, my more laissez faire side says use insulation tape to wrap the damaged area, the middle ground would be to cut the cable where it is damaged and insert a junction box.

I understand that if I was talking about a cable carrying a higher amperage (e.g. a supply to an electric shower) then I would need to replace the whole cable, but my instinct is to cut the cable and drop in a suitable junction box because there is slack in the cable.

What are the educated views on this point and is such work part P notifiable?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:41 pm

Hi sgoldswo,
best would be to replace entire cable, as you say from junc box to junc box. That should not be that difficult if this is accessable in the loft space. You can cut cable and make good using an intermediate junk box, insulation tape, I wouldn't! Not part p, it's minor work.
Regards
KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:04 pm