I have a "living flame" type, open gas fire in my old hearth with a flu up the chimney. On top of the chimney is a metal vent. Whenever it rains, bits of crumbling mortar and dirt fall down into the hearth. Birds also drop stuff down it. This leads me to believe that the top of the chimney must be open to the elements and probably needs repairing?
I would like some advice on who would be the best person to look at this - a builder, a roofer, or would I need a specialist? and how much should I expect to pay for a repair? The house is 1950's so It's not a fancy chimney stack.
DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!