damp and condensation advice please!
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
blue
Labourer
Labourer

damp and condensation advice please!

by blue » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:42 pm

Hello

I hope someone can help me - I have lived in a 1930s end terrace for just over two years, after first six months or so front room (north facing) smelt fusty - gradually got worse in winter. It has a reclaimed maple wood floor that I can't lift to see under but when I moved my bean bag all was green mouldy underneath where in contact with floor. Skirting appears to have tide mark of condensation type mould and some wood furniture also green / grey dusty mould. When I have had something stood on floor for a while e.g. large plant in pot or sorage chest - wood floor also seems swollen / slightly damp underneath. small patch of water damage on floor seems to randomly go wet again when it feels like it. The interior door is rarely shut and windows open reasonably regularly although the room is not in use as much as others due to this problem existing.

This is the case all round the room - even adjoining neighbour wall - not just exterior facing one???

actual wet patch just an inch above skirting on wall under bay window in winter - now gone after exessive heating and ventilation of room.

in addition to this room under stairs cupboard (smells & inside door mould) and other areas in house ground floor also show signs of condensation style dusty mould but these are not areas like kitchen / bathroom or condensation traps so I cant follow the usual advice re reducing moisture??

I dont know where to start as I have been warned about getting damp proofing injecting when that is not the real problem. As I said - not sure if I can even get under the floor as it is glued tounge & groove maple.... I fear I have let the problem go on long enough and it is starting to affect my furniture.

Help!!!

P.s. sorry to ramble!

birdy
Labourer
Labourer

by birdy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:06 am

Hi,

I'm no expert I live in a 1930's semi and if you see my post you will see I have a problem with water in my floor void.

Assuming your floorboards are laid on joists and not concrete have you checked outside to see that the air bricks which provide ventilation for the void have not been blocked (as that would cause damp air to be trapped under the floor) or that the ground has been built up to the air brick level (say a patio or pathway) and is allowing rainwater to enter the void?

If that's not the case personally I would bite the bullet and take up a couple of boards and have a look in the void with a torch and see what you find. As far as I'm aware your house should have a dampcourse anyway - check the outside of the house and see if you can see a line of what looks like roofing felt between course of bricks probably 2 to 3 bricks above ground level.

Sorry if I'm a bit vague but I know how you feel - if you get a company round chances are they could well tell you to do something which isnt necessarily what is required, but I wouldnt leave it any longer to sort out - with the weather as it is and the winter coming round ....

Good Luck.

dcmoore
Ganger
Ganger

by dcmoore » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:14 pm

Take a look at any one of our damp projects and ring the phone number for Property Repair Systems. They give free, no obligation advice and we recommend them. They will tell you what you need to do (if anything) and will also be able to supply you with anything you need to do it with but will certainly not try to sell you anything you don't need

blue
Labourer
Labourer

by blue » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:43 pm

Hi again

I have had the problem looked at and am being told a Drymaster syaytem plus metal(powder coated) vents instead of the terracotta airbricks would be the answer to airflow under and inside the house that should combat the condensation realted mould and damp smell.

Any views on either of these solutions would be great???

Thanks
Blue

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:17 am