Damp and Condensation in living room
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
KellyF
Labourer
Labourer

Damp and Condensation in living room

Post by KellyF » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:43 am

Hi,

I have a large knocked through lounge diner, with stripped pined floor boards I'm suffering with both damp and mould in this room.
The previous owner of the house stripped these boards and when you feel them they are always cold and at night you can feel a draft coming from them. We have sealed the edges from the floor to the skirting board but there is still a draft from the floor.

I also have a problem with condensation on the front bay window; I had new double glazing fitted last year which has eased the problem a bit, but i've noticed now that the plaster below the window in the bay feels cold and wet.

To add to this i have a large sliding patio door in the dining part of the room. This has painted concrete step which is always very cold, butted up very poorly to the floor boards. Now there is a lot of damp and mold on the walls next to the doors.

I know there is a lot of things going on in this room, but can anyone suggest some things that may ease these problems. I've got a dehumdifier going all day at the moment but obviously this cant be a long term thing.

Thanks in advance Kelly

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:21 am

KellyF,
Floor - easiest solution would be to lay carpet on underlay on thick lining paper.
Bay window - get a humidity meter, if the rh in the bay is above 70% damp is condensation problem, if below 60% rain may be getting in around the window.
Concrete cill - fit a timber or upvc trimmer to cover the exposed cill, seal it to the window and floor. This will form an extra insulated barrier.
De-humidifier - you will probably have to use this 24/7 in the colder months of the year.
end

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:00 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:34 am