Damp and flaking paint help please!
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
zeroms
Labourer
Labourer

Damp and flaking paint help please!

by zeroms » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi Guys,

Am new here, this site looks like a godsend for DIY noobies like me!

I did post pictures on my original post but it seems like bbcode is disabled?

I have just moved into a new house (converted house into 2 flats) I have the ground floor, it has underfloor heating, central heating and double glazing, not sure about cavity wall

I have a problem in the kitchen, on an exterior facing wall, also problems in the spare room with bulging paint (flaking). Outside of the kitchen & spare room wall is some pipes (drainage i think from above flat) very close to the damp patch, they dont seem to be leaking though.

In my living room, I have 2 vents right on the base of the outer wall, I am unsure why these are here and make the room very cold, is there any alternative to these?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks

Craig

dcmoore
Ganger
Ganger

by dcmoore » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:20 pm

hi Zeroms

Its worth double checking those pipes again perhaps, even for a very small leak. Also check that exterior wall for any cracks in the brickwork or pointing that might be allowing moisture to come into your room.
Secondly, find out if the wall is a cavity. If it is then blocks in the cavity such as builders rubble or faulty wall ties can also be culprits of damp walls.
Lastly, are all the walls fitted with a damp proof course? Rising damp and salts in your wall can all contribute to ruining your interior decor.

If in doubt take a look at the damp project for Property Repair Systems and give them a call.

Good luck!

zeroms
Labourer
Labourer

by zeroms » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:04 am

thanks very much for your reply, will follow your advice and take a look tonight

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:21 pm