damp and trickling water on bedroom external wall
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nickym
Labourer
Labourer

damp and trickling water on bedroom external wall

Post by nickym » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:48 am

I had new uPVC double glazed windows fitted in April this year and this week I discovered quite a bit of damp on my bedroom wall (external wall). Could there be a link?

There is some condensation on the window and water on the sill but I have been steaming wallpaper in the room directly below my bedroom and at first thought it may be because of that. Damp to the touch wallpaper on both sides of the window and below the window.

But the worst part is that almost onlevel with the top of the window to the right, there are three quite large wet patches (in an exact line along the wall) and water is actually trickling down the wall from each wet patch. The right-hand bottom of the wall (away from the window) is also damp to the touch. It is not mouldy but leaves water on my fingertips.

I think it is too wet and too exact a line to be condensation from the steaming. It looks more like water has run along the brickwork - maybe from the window?

Does anyone know what kind of professional I should call out or what I need to do? Thanks!

mdpmspitfire
Tradesman
Tradesman

damp

Post by mdpmspitfire » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:39 pm

hi, there are lots of possibilities for you problems. a surveyor should be able to help. explain your problems before engaging their services to make sure they have experience in this area. new upvc obviously can reduce air flow in a propery over origenal windows and can therefore exacibate an existing problem. other possibles include window fitters removing old frames complete with vertical dpc's and not replacing although this depends on the type and age of your property. this would not show up short term. aditional heat witin the property caused by improved glazing and less air flow can increase condensation. new glaging should incorporate trickle ventilation. try using this
mark

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

damp

Post by welsh brickie » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:52 am

Use a hose on the window to check for leaks .

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:42 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:59 pm