Damp and Wall Structure in Potential Property Purchase - Ideas Wanted on Causes and Repairs
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Lauranash
Labourer
Labourer

Damp and Wall Structure in Potential Property Purchase - Ideas Wanted on Causes and Repairs

by Lauranash » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a house that has a lot of damp, so I am trying to figure out the causes and estimate the cost of repairs.

1- Possible rising damp to living room:
The wallpaper was removed and the wall is black-ish, so I think that this wall may need damp treatment.
The other side of the wall (external wall) is covered of stones, which I believe covers the brick wall. I worry that this may complicate the damp treatment and make it more expensive.
What is your view and how much would I be looking at?

2- Damp in the bedroom and external wall cracks:
All bedrooms have a lot of damp (I attached one picture) and I fear that it may be caused by cracks into the outside wall, from the stress of the windows being changed (a few years ago I assume).
There is also a crack/damp and the ceiling seems to have slightly collapsed in the bedroom, underneath a patch made to the outside wall (see picture "back bedroom 2" or "back bedroom 3", the patch in the top left corner of the window.
How much am I looking at if I were to consolidate this wall/roof? And damp treat it?

3- Asbestos - Artex:
It is possible that the artex paint, which I would like to remove, contains asbestos and I need to consider how to remove this and the cost.

Any tips and advice on cost would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Attachments
Damp in one of the windows - all bedrooms are this way
Damp in one of the windows - all bedrooms are this way
Blackish marks to wall in living room (rising damp?)
Blackish marks to wall in living room (rising damp?)
External wall to living room
External wall to living room
Ceiling slightly collapsed and crack
Ceiling slightly collapsed and crack
See cracks around windows
See cracks around windows
See cracks around windows and patch on top left corner of window
See cracks around windows and patch on top left corner of window

Lauranash
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Damp and Wall Structure in Potential Property Purchase - Ideas Wanted on Causes and Repairs

by Lauranash » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:51 am

One more point, if this make any difference. I am mainly interested in this house is because of its perfect location.
I could factor £30-40k in the repairs to make it good and the house is guaranteed to grow in value due to its location.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Damp and Wall Structure in Potential Property Purchase - Ideas Wanted on Causes and Repairs

by Perry525 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:35 pm

1. Rising damp - rises to four feet above ground level. The outer covering of stones looks dry, but they appear to have bridged the damp proof course. If there is a damp proof course, it will be located just below the front door frame, check out the relative levels. You can always knock off the stones. This is a DIY job.

2. Damp in the bedroom. Is the bedroom upstairs? The damp patch may be due to condensation,lack of ventilation, keeping the door closed at night, leaving the kitchen and or bathroom doors open, when cooking and washing. Water vapour always moves to the coldest surface, usually a window but often a cold solid wall.
Wall cracks, this is normal in an old house, usually the walls are supported above openings by a wood beam, these move at a different rate to bricks. As the seasons change the walls expand and contract, leading to cracks.

These cracks often lead to internal damp patches. where the rain is blown through the wall.

3.There are a lot of scare stories about asbestos, only blue asbestos is really dangerous! And that was used in ships and large factories. In the main the regulations are aimed at workers who are exposed to it on a day to day basis. We are all exposed to asbestos, every day, it is in the air we breath. White asbestos left untouched is harmless. To look after your health, buy and wear a 3M mask. Using a proper mask which fits closely, 3M make three sizes, and has a proper filter makes sense.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:03 pm