Damp carpet due to leak from radiator
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
abdiyprojects
Labourer
Labourer

Damp carpet due to leak from radiator

Post by abdiyprojects » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:20 pm

hi,

Last night I was trying to bleed one of the radiators in third bedroom (box room) on 1st floor. As the air wasn't readily escaping, I decided to leave it for a min or 2 and come back to check (which I never did until the today morning!!). This caused the radiator to leak water for about 3-4 hours when the central heating was switched on last night.
Two-thirds of the carpet in the room is damp. I am also concerned about the floorboards.
Please advise the right type of equipment hire which could fix the problem or any other solution this issue. Would rug doctor help? carpet steaming equipment? or dehumidifier?

Look forward to your response on this.

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

Post by acsimpson » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:15 pm

A dehumidifier is the best thing, ideally lifting the carpets to allow check the floorboards and allow them to dry too.
Some carpet cleaners (perhaps all) suck up water as well as just cleaning the carpets, so one of those would certainly help.

steve bain
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by steve bain » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:24 pm

ha. brilliant. :lol:

i'm not being mean! but that was a bit silly. as it has been a short term leak and won't have caused rot or anything like long term leaks do. i would hire a huge dehumidifier to dry it out. the cheap B&Q ones just won't do. a week on full power should do it. once all dry i would try a rug doctor/professional cleaner to do the carpet.

worse case scenario new carpet.

best case scenario, the water went between the boards and didn't really get that wet. the carpet is wet and makes it appear worse than it is.

good luck

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:04 am