Damp Cellar Conversion to a kitchen and Dinning Room
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Danowens24
Labourer
Labourer

Damp Cellar Conversion to a kitchen and Dinning Room

Post by Danowens24 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:38 pm

Hi All,

A little exec summary: got a 26m2 basement under our house (5.5x4.8) that is currently quite damp, we have got the money together to convert this in to a kitchen/dining room. Advice needed on waterproofing options, building control, fire escapes, electrics etc.

Our cellar is currently 5.5 x 4.8m with a 2m head height. The floor is currently Yorkshire stone (which someone has offered £550 to dig up and take away!) and is quite a damp space - however, it is not wet, as in with running water.

We are looking for some initial advice on the recommended waterproofing solution; we have had someone tell us we could tank using a Heydi 2k solution. However, we have been told that a cavity membrane solution would be better, but no one has been around to look at it in person.

Where does each solution leave us with a sump pump etc?

We have a labourer who is going to dig down 400mm to increase the headheight - this will end up being c. 2.2m once we have boarded and put the flooring in.

1) What would the approx. cost be for someone to come in and complete the "waterproofing" element - as we have someone who can do the electrics, plumbing and boarding/plastering already.

2) We have an existing 1200x1000 window which we will be replacing with a full tilt and turn, along with the main staircase in to the cellar, would this be sufficient from a fire regs element?

3) What would the view be on running a gas hob rather than electric/conduction - is there any law/regulation around this when the kitchen is in the cellar?

4) Is there any requirement to employ an architect before we start work? One contractor said it was essential - but nobody else has mentioned this.

Between myself and my dad, we are thinking of setting up all the electrics ourselves - am I right in thinking we only need a 'professional' (ie. certified) to come in and verify the safety and run in to the fusebox?

Think that is about it for now - however, I'm very tired at the moment so if anything seems like its completely nonsensical - let me know and i'll have a look in the morning!

https://imgur.com/a/vssv2 < a few pics from the cellar and kitchen design
http://imgur.com/a/hNlQr <some more pics from when we bought 2 years ago

Hope that helps! :)

Thanks,

Dan

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Damp Cellar Conversion to a kitchen and Dinning Room

Post by welsh brickie » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:29 am

Do not excavate without seeking advice from a professional structural engineer, and building control. It is in your best interest to consult these people before starting any work.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:03 pm