Damp Concrete Sub Floor Solution Possible Membrane Fix?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
PhillyUK
Labourer
Labourer

Damp Concrete Sub Floor Solution Possible Membrane Fix?

by PhillyUK » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi,

I bought a 1950's bungalow last year which is on a hill and one of the kids bedrooms at the back (up hill) had a damp smell since we moved in and decorated. Eventually took the laminate flooring up that I had laid and there was damp in between a lot of the old thermal floor tiles underneath (see photo 1 & 2), which wasn't there when I was renovating. I have since taken the tiles up (wish i'd worn a mask after finding out they contain asbestos!!) and painted a layer of Wickes liquid damp proof over the bitumen adhesive that was underneath (see photo 3).

Was hoping this would stop the damp, however, I laid the new underlay a couple of weeks ago but never got round to relaying the laminate and noticed the musty smell was back. It now looks like mould growing on top of the liquid DPM under the underlay and feels wet to touch! Not sure where to go from here now as nothing will stick to this stuff other than a 50mm layer of cement apparently which i'm guessing will just have the same problem? Could I lay a physical membrane over it and use self leveller over that or would it just lift?

Any advice would be much appreciated as my 2 year old is currently sleeping in our room, my wife is getting impatient and I'm slowly declining into despair!!

Thanks,

Phil
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

rap12
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Damp Concrete Sub Floor Solution Possible Membrane Fix?

by rap12 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:11 pm

The problem seems to be the hillside location of the house - not much you can do about that.

Is there a membrane below the bedroom solid floor?

Sealing the floor is causing the surface to blow off, the vinyl tiles allowed evaporation - perhaps live with a polished concrete floor and some rugs?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:29 pm