Damp damp and more damp
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
krasnauk
Labourer
Labourer

Damp damp and more damp

by krasnauk » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:33 pm

Help me please I have lived in a third floor three bed flat for almost two years. When we moved in there was damp everywhere due to lack of air circulation. (all wall papered) We stripped all the wall paper and cleaned all the walls. we aired the flat thoroughly and even re plastered some walls. we have had some mild damp in some of the rooms with oudside walls since but nothing too bad. the council recently did some major works supposedly re pointing was included, ever since in two rooms specifically the damp is ridiculous, having to clean and bleach walls every two days. we have windows open, vents open but dont know what else to do. can I treat the inside walls with some thing? The worst room is the one that was re plastered! :(

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:01 pm

krasnauk,
You should approach the council and explain the problems which have been created by their works.
end

krasnauk
Labourer
Labourer

by krasnauk » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:26 am

Thanks for your reply
I have done so but they say it is not thier problem but mine and it is due to lack of circulation which is very untrue is there anything i can put on the walls on the inside to help?

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Damp walls on the third floor

by Perry525 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:08 pm

Its very unlikely that re-pointing a wall could make it damp.
However, there is always the possibility that they didn't do it properly!
Get outside with a decent pair of binoculars or a ladder if you can borrow one, and take a careful look.

You write that the flat was damp with condensation when you moved in.
And that you dried it out, by using the traditional method of opening the windows.
And indicate that, opening the windows doesn't work any more?

On the third floor, the causes of damp are usually down to.
A leaking roof or gutter or down pipe.
Badly fitted windows where the rain enters the wall round the frame.
Or with an exposed wall, penetrating rain, where the mortar has never stuck to the bricks and the wind blown rain is making its way through the wall.

Or the most likely, that the water vapour you and your family create in your flat, is condensing into the walls, because they are cold.
Do you have a lot of condensation on your windows?
Do you have trickle vents or air bricks or holes in the walls, floors or ceilings?
Do you have extractor fans in your kitchen and bathroom?
Do you keep the kitchen and bathroom doors closed?
Have you been keeping the windows closed because it has been cold?

All of the above can cause condensation on windows and into walls.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:47 am