Damp Floor Issues in my 1860 Terrace and how Bset to fix
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rob22888
Labourer
Labourer

Damp Floor Issues in my 1860 Terrace and how Bset to fix

by rob22888 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:52 am

Hi there, wondering if people can help me invest my money wisely in the best solution for my damp problem.

The rear kitchen in my house has a damp floor, pulled up some vinyl that had been laid directly on top of it to find a right mess...by the looks of it there is some asphalt present but it’s failed and crumbling in places with a few botched cement patches making the floor uneven.

Another concern is a sign of some water ingress into rendering on the rear of the property around a drainage pipe (green mound around some cracks). The interior walls don’t seem particularly damp to me but some plasterboard behind the sink is damp to touch. I’m not sure if condensation from the floor could have caused this?

I’ll try and post some pics later if that helps.

I have had a builder advise me to remove the kitchen cabinets and break up & relay the floor with a self levelling concrete in top. He fell short of quoting me as I don’t think he fancied it. Is this good advice? I’ve been done a lot of googling about this and seen a lot of talk about damp proof membranes etc. I don’t want to spend thousands on a massively disruptive job that ultimately won’t work.

As for the rear wall, long term I want to remove the render as I believe it’s better that the stone can breathe, just don’t have any idea what state the wall will be in behind!

Any help, advise and ideas on possible cost would be greatly appreciated.

michaelscad
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Damp Floor Issues in my 1860 Terrace and how Bset to fix

by michaelscad » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:31 pm

you'r right about the render, the floor has the same problem many people had asphalt laid over existing floors without taking out what's under sometimes it
was stone flags you sell on to cover the cost

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:58 am