Damp hardboard floor
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
Birdy7
Labourer
Labourer

Damp hardboard floor

Post by Birdy7 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:33 pm

OK so I have just slung some slug pellets down for now, I am accepting they will get in wherever they can.
But I have now managed to take out the kickboard from under the oven and found that the new hardboard floor that was put down in August is damp from the wall to about 6 inches in. The walls feel fine, this wall is the one that has both the drain and soil pipe the other side where it was leaking.
The new hardboard floor and joists supporting it are suspended above the floor but could this damp be caused by condensation in the soil underneath drying out? it seems unlikely tthat it would be able to penetrate something so thick but it is above where the leaks were, I really don't know. The only other thing i can think of is that wall also used to have a door on it but the previous owners bricked it up to create more space, if when it rains hard is the rain soaking through? but as I said the walls feel fine. Even when we had the drains leaking before the floors certainly weren't wet.
We don't have the money to have the kitchen taken out yet again especailly not as the insurance company is unlikely to cover any of it.
Is there a way of drying this out, short of an Indian summer!
Can anyone help?
Thanks

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:30 am