damp in annexe, advice needed
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andynewton
Labourer
Labourer

damp in annexe, advice needed

Post by andynewton » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:13 pm

The annexe has been built with part of it attached to the main house. At this part the damp is showing on the plaster in the annexe (this is palster on the exterior house brick). I have cut away all the damp plaster and am able to scrape away down the side of the concrete floor, level with where the damp course is visible on the house brickwork. I have removed all the damp plaster and there is only remnants of any original damp course used in the annexe. I now have a gap between the concrete floor of the annexe and the brickwork of the house. What I amstruggling to find out is if there is a product out there that I can put into this gap as a damp course, the gap is about 10 cm wide about 5m long. The if this is filled would I be okay to plaster above it. Any help is appreciated

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: damp in annexe, advice needed

Post by welsh brickie » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:03 pm

I am unsure of your discribtion of the problem,A picture would be better.
10cm gap by 5 mteres? you say is a very big gap, you could lay new damp course and lay a 100mm or 10cm block on its side to fill the gap

andynewton
Labourer
Labourer

Post by andynewton » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:51 pm

sorry, mistype, should have gone to bed earlier. The gap is about 10mm between concrete floor of annexe and brick wall of house. The concrete floor is a couple of cms above the damp course level of the house. So I am trying to find out if there are any sprays/chemicals I can put down the gap or whether I should just leave an air gap. Thanks

p.s The 5m measurement is about the length the house is in contact with the annexe

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by welsh brickie » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:39 am

ok ,10mm if your plastering over it use expanding foam to fill the gap its waterproof and will expand to fill the gap.

andynewton
Labourer
Labourer

Post by andynewton » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:33 pm

Thanks for that, a lot simpler than all the horrors I was imagining.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:24 am