Damp in external corner - ideas?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
icowden
Labourer
Labourer

Damp in external corner - ideas?

by icowden » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:56 pm

Hi all,

I have a 1930s semi with solid brick wall construction. The 1st storey is stoneclad but has not been painted in many years (project for the summer). Today we noticed black mould running from skirtingboard to about 1.5m above the skirting in the corner (both walls making the corner are external). The walls feel damp to the touch and there is a chest of drawers in that corner (otherwise we might have noticed earlier). There is a ground floor extension which has flashing to the cladding running along one of the two external walls, so I wonder if it could be ingress at the flashing join?

I haven't been able to have a close look (had a hernia operation yesterday) but I can't see any visible defects.

Has anyone any ideas what might be causing the problem or possible solutions? We noticed this problem in another room last year inside a built in wardrobe, but since removing the wardrobe it has resolved.

Cheers

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:27 pm

icowden,
Most likely cause is condensation. Get hold of a cheap humidity meter and if the reading is consistently above 70% you need to get more fresh air in your home. Opening windows is the cheapest solution.
end

icowden
Labourer
Labourer

by icowden » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:25 pm

Thanks Stoneyboy.

The damp has returned in the other corner, so is clearly nothing to do with the extension.

Cheers

Stejonesy
Labourer
Labourer

by Stejonesy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:17 am

Hi see my reply to the following post...

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/forums/view ... uld+growth

as 'stoneyboy' states, it will most likely be condensation but you need to consider removing the mould as well as ventilation, as mould causes really serious health issues. My reply to the above link tells what we had to do... and take a google around about the dangers of mould to see why I took such drastic action!!

Hope it helps!

Ragards Stejonesy.....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:04 pm