There seems to be dampness in the firsplace in one of the bedrooms in my flat - a builder has told me that it is down to condensation rather than rising damp. It seems to have not got any worse since I started using a dehumidifier and airing the room better, but I am still left with blistered and flaking paint and discolouration in the fireplace. Is there an easy way to improve the look of the fireplace, ie can I simply strip off the paint and paint a new coat over it, or do I need to take more drastic action? I am complete diy novice by the way.
Lets deal with this sensibly. First do you have condensing damp?
Condensation forms when the humidity in the air drops out due to a drop in temperature.
It always forms on the coldest smooth surface.
Such as a window. Or window frame, or cold water pipe.
Are your windows running with water because you turn the heating off?
If they are not and you do not - you do not have condensing humidity.
Of course, you may have double or treble glazing......in which event, the windows may not be the coldest spot.
Thanks for your response. I do have double glazing in the room - the windows don't seem to get much condensation. Also would the fireplace not be the coldest point in the room as the brickwork is thinnest there, so therefore nearest to the cold outside air? I have been told by two separate builders that the damp is condensing rather than rising, so have been going on what they have told me.