damp issues in new house
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
markwilliams82
Apprentice
Apprentice

damp issues in new house

by markwilliams82 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:30 pm

Hey everyone, I've recently moved into my first house with my gf and we're starting to notice a few issues with damp. we've got a cellar which is showing signs of damp but this isnt too bad and has had work done on it by the previous owners to protect the house so this isnt on our priority list....yet.

however, I'm abit concerned about the outside utility room, the walls themselves seem dry, and the roof is new and doesnt leak, however if it rains ALOT (which in the uk it does :lol: ) the floor can get quite damp. what could be causing this? and how could i sort this?

obviously we want this sorted so we can redecorate in there and make it a tidy room compared to the state its in now

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:10 pm

Lets start with the cellar, cellars are almost impossible to keep dry, unless you spend a lot of money on tanking, and that doesn't always work.
If you don't intend to live in it ignore it. (for now)
The utility room, how old is the house?
Was it made in the late 1800's?
Does it have a damp proof course?
Is the damp proof course made of slate?
If there is a damp proof course is the ground outside at least six inches below the dpc?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 pm