damp on exterior wall - how
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jeffie
Labourer
Labourer

damp on exterior wall - how

by Jeffie » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:13 am

I am looking for some advice about damp on an exterior wall.

The area is about 1.5m x 1m.

The old lath and plaster has blown. I have removed it and have found that the stud work behind it is totally rotten.

There are several gaps in the mortar and when it rains water settles on the brick work.

The wall is under a window but there does not seem to be water coming in from directly under it.

The outside of the wall is painted.

Should I repoint the wall from the inside. I am concerned that this will not solve the problem just move it to somewhere else.

I have read about silicone water repellent. I assume that I can not use this as the exterior of the wall is painted or will the repellent work through paint. Could I se use the repellent on the interior surface.

I woulde be very grateful to anyone that could help. Thanks

canny
Tradesman
Tradesman

by canny » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:47 pm

Hi,
Is there earth against on the outside of the wall? If so remove it
Fill in any creaks or gaps inside and out. Also make sure the damp is not coming up via the floor.

Once you have repointed, paint the area plus a good meter either way into the dry areas with bitumin paint. We call this tanking.Apply about 4 0r 5 coats.Allow to dry after each coat.
You can either render and plaster or rebuild you stud using treated timber and fix with foil backed plaster board ans scim Ideally do the above to the whole wall affected. :)

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:30 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:36 am