Damp or Condensation Possibly Caused by Shower Sealant Failure?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BMJ103
Labourer
Labourer

Damp or Condensation Possibly Caused by Shower Sealant Failure?

by BMJ103 » Thu May 14, 2015 8:50 pm

Any ideas what could be causing the speckled wet/damp? (see pictures)

A bit of back ground, I recently moved and discovered the ensuite shower had been leaking due to failed sealant. I believe this must have been going on for years judging by the chipboard under the lino. (ive had a dehumidifier on for the last month drying this out). However in the adjoining bedroom I have found these speckled patches under the carpet &underlay, the areas appear to be where the previous owner had furniture. There are no damp patches on the walls near by.

The property is under 10 years old, and i have the ground floor flat. I have now cleared a number of air vents outside that were covered by planting etc. Im not sure how well ventilated the flat was.
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

diydoctor6
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Damp or Condensation Possibly Caused by Shower Sealant Failure?

by diydoctor6 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:24 am

It does sound like you have done the right thing. You need to stop the source of the moisture first of all, if not you are only addressing the symptoms. The next thing is to dry the place out and ensure that it stays dry by ventilating it.

There's a lot of detailed info on condensation and how to deal with it here: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/condensation.htm

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:19 pm