damp or condensation
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
calv
Labourer
Labourer

damp or condensation

by calv » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:20 pm

we live in an end terrace house. the outta wall, inside has 2 alcoves 1 has the gas meter in the other has nothing, both either side of the fire place. in these alcoves we have about 3 ft high cupboards built in. we have lived there 4 yrs and had the walls plastered about 2 yrs ago, now we have noticed paint flaking and a white powder on the walls over time it rises up the walls in defferent places, we have been told to hack off the plaster as its raising damp, the floor out side is lower then the floor inside by about 3 ft, could it be raising damp or condensation in the cold cornor cupboards. i have sanded down the walls repaintedand put in vents to help circulation but the prob has come back what do i do or where do i go from here

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:13 pm

CALV,

AS FAR AS I CAN ASSERTAIN FROM READING YOUR POST, THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE CONFINED TO THE WALL SURFACES WITHIN THE CUPBOARDS.

IF THIS IS SO, THEN IN MY OPINION ONLY, THE LIKELY CAUSE IS CONDENSATION.

YOU REALY NEED TO ASSERTAIN WHICH OF THE TWO (DAMP OR CONDESATION) IS THE ROOT CAUSE BEFORE YOU CAN REMEDY THE SITUATION.

IF YOU LOOK AT MY REPLIES TO PREVIOUS SIMILAR POSTS, YOU WILL FIND A METHOD YOU COULD USE TO ASSESS WETHER IT MAY BE DAMP OR CONDENSATION PROBLEM.

IF IT TURNS OUT TO BE DOWN TO CONDESATION, YOU COULD BUILD INTO THE BACK OF THE CUPBOARD A FALSE WALL (SEALED TO PREVENT MOIST AIR GETTING INBETWEEN) WITH INSULATION BEHIND TO PROVIDE A WARM WALL SURFACE TO OVERCOME PROBLEM.

REGARDS,

ALDA.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:54 am