Damp or condenstation - what to do??
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
asaertd
Labourer
Labourer

Damp or condenstation - what to do??

by asaertd » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:46 pm

I am at my wits end with our mould problems.

We purchased a ground floor maisonette (early 1900s) in Dec 2005. Previous to us buying the flat there had been two damp proof courses.
When we were buying the flat, we had a survey done, which came back with levels of dampness. We had a further indept survey done and there was a presence ofcondensation problems.
We (stupidly) thought that this would be OK and went ahead and bought the flat against our solicitor's wishes. He was concerned that there had been two damp proof courses and it hadn't fixed the issue.

Since moving in, in one bedroom with two outside walls we have continually had to deal with mould and the wall always feels a little wet. There are two airvents in this room.
The living room and the other bedroom also suffer with mould but not nearly as bad.
In the bathroom there is sometimes fungus growing behind the toilet and sink (looked like a flower) and the tiling has become quite dark around the grout.
The kitchen cuboards sometime have mould around them and on the items stored.
There is always water on the windows (double glazing through out)

We currently use a dehumidifier, leave the windows open when possible and wipe the walls down.
We have to do a lot of painting over the damp were it will not wipe off. We always have a window open when cooking or bathing. Over time it has got worse. I am not sure if this has to do with the cold winter we had or the cause of it getting worse.

We had a baby last year and he has chest problems, we need to sell the flat to get a bigger place and also just incase the damp is contributing to the baby's condition.

So I guess I am wondering if it sounds like we have more of a damp problem rather than condensation??
What can we do to treat it?
The company that carried out the last damp proof coursing was Kenwood PLC (about 6 years ago). I am concerned that if I get this company and other similar companies to come look at the damp to do a survey and give us a quote for work that they will not give me an accurate diagnosis. Especially as the damp proof coursing obviously didn't work when it was done before. Also any potenial buyers would probably be turned off if they see a thrid attempt a DPC.
I would appreciate any advice you have on the matter.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:43 pm

asaertd,
Buy a bigger and better de-humidifier with a reheat capability and run it 24/7. Get the dampness down and sell in the early summer.
end

asaertd
Labourer
Labourer

by asaertd » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:53 am

Thanks for your reply I appreciate it and will def take up your advice.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:44 am