We have just moved into our mid-terrace house and have noticed a few damp patches about 30cm in diameter around the top of a chimney breast. These have got worse since the month of rain we've had. We have a wood burner downstairs but the fire place has been plastered over in the bedroom upstairs. There are no damp patches upstairs.
I spoke to a damp specialist on the telephone and discribed the damp patches to him. He said it sounded like a problem with the lead flashing/chimney pots rather than an actual damp problem. I then called a roofer who said we just needed an anti downdraft cowl fitted to the woodburner chiney pot and a mushroom cowl to the blocked up chimney pot. We were quoted £180 with fitting.
I just wanted to see if you knowledgable people agree with this diagnosis and whether this is a good price. Also, if this does fix the problem, would the damp patches just dry out or is this likely to need re-plastering?
Thanks for your help!