Damp Problem on Kitchen Wall Following Leak in Bathroom Above
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
NickRich
Labourer
Labourer

Damp Problem on Kitchen Wall Following Leak in Bathroom Above

by NickRich » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:55 am

I recently had a new kitchen fitted and noticed that new plaster would not dry on a 3 meter width area of external kitchen wall directly below my bathroom. The kitchen fitter still went ahead and put the units up and painted the newly plastered wall. 3 weeks later the paint was peeling off and water stains could be seen on the wall. Water marks were also clearly seen on the kitchen ceiling.

A plumber investigated and found that water was leaking from various pipe joints but mostly from the concealed shower thermostat pipes in the bathroom. Once the tiles and flooring were removed I could see the soaked wall and rotten floor. The bathroom wall took almost 8 weeks to dry using a dehumidifier before being re-tiled.

I have been trying to dry the wall in the kitchen below but it seems I am fighting a lost battle. The dehumidifier is filling with 3 litres of water every 24 hours and so far this has been running for 3 weeks with no clear improvement !!!!

Will it ever dry?? Is there any shortcuts ?? How long will it take?? Can I use a coat of something to allow the paint to not show the damp??

I'm slowly losing the will and wonder if I can do anything to speed this process up, I have taken down the new kitchen units whilst trying to dry the wall.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks Nick

Read more: http://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/damp- ... z3FRjrSbAu

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Damp Problem on Kitchen Wall Following Leak in Bathroom Above

by welsh brickie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:40 pm

It sounds to me like its still leaking, with that much water coming out I would have it rechecked

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:20 am