Damp problems due DPC below ground level?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jynxy2
Labourer
Labourer

Damp problems due DPC below ground level?

by jynxy2 » Sun May 01, 2011 1:57 pm

We recently moved into a 1930's bungalow (double thickness brick wall with no cavity then lath and plaster). When removing wallpaper from front bay window room I noted dampness. When I pulled off the plaster, there was a lot of trapped material blocking the space between the brick wall and the plaster, like damp sand, plus some solid damp material which I assume was the old plaster that fell down the space during the original lath and plastering. where this stuff was lying against the joist it has caused crumbling. Where the joist ends slot into the wall, the same damp sandy dust has again caused dampness and crumbling of the joist ends.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62368277@N03/sets/72157626620805378/

Now I have some ideas as to the cause of the dampness. As you will see from the photos, the dpc seems quite low (two bricks below the air brick). There has been a monoblock driveway put in previously and you can see that the top of the block is about 2 inches above the DPC. In addition, there is some pooling of water where the block meets the front wall after it rains. There is also a drain that runs from the front corner of the house (where the dampness seems to be the worst) and the drainage hole at the end of the trench was been completely blocked. I think this may the problem which has been causing the dampness. I've now unblocked the drain. Would be keen for your thoughts.

Cheers,

Andy

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun May 01, 2011 11:47 pm

jynxy2,
I cannot see a dpc either inside or out.
The rendering is certainly splayed at its bottom edge to form a drip and I would have expected the dpc to be at least 2 courses below the bottom of the drip.
I think you may have to remove the edge of the drive next to the house wall.
end

jynxy2
Labourer
Labourer

by jynxy2 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:03 pm

Thanks for the response.

If you look at the first picture, I think the dpc is above the first (bottom) brick layer (two bricks below the rotten wall plate that the joists sit on). In picture 4, outside the dpc is just just out of site, below the bottom edge of the wall, approximately 2 inches below the top of the mono block path.

I am thinking remove the monoblock next to the wall under the bay window and insert a drainage channel connected to the drainage channel which is currently there in photo 6 (now unblocked)?

Do you think new (higher) dpc layer required?

Cheers,

Andy

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue May 03, 2011 10:22 pm

jynxy2,
"Do you think new (higher) dpc layer required" not at this stage, lower the external ground levels abutting the wall and see if this improves the damp problem - it may take months.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:59 am