Damp Proofing Cost Help
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BigChief
Labourer
Labourer

Damp Proofing Cost Help

by BigChief » Tue May 08, 2007 2:00 pm

Hello,
I have recently had a survey done on an older house(1900's) and it has come back with reports of dampness in one of the walls. It is a sandstone wall but does have a chimney breats(Which is now covered over) in the centre of the wall.
I have had a few quotes for the repair work and they range from 300 to 1500 and was wondering if someone could suggest how much a damp course to solve this problem would be. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
There is no signs of dampness on the wall!

tucny
Ganger
Ganger

by tucny » Tue May 08, 2007 9:48 pm

when testing a wall dampnes can be detectedfar before it is visable. Dampness on walls adjacent to chimneys is common and may not even be caused by rising dampness, but instead salt/sulphate contaminating within the plaster. If the wall is a solid stone/rubble filled wall then an injection morter dpc may function well. A cdpc in a chimney hardly ever works as the dpc is installed around the edge. the dampness simply rises within the chimney breast where the dpc hasnt reached effectively bridging the dpc, yet so many companies do it! so to get around this problem assuming that some dampness exists withion the chimney, a membrane or cementitious tanking system should be applied. Depending on the surveyor and their preferences prices can vary. however i would advise that you obtain advice from a well established company that is a member of the PCA (property care association, used to be the BWPDA). This is the trade body for the whole building preservation scene. A surveyor who is a member should be able to prove they are competant and are likley to be qualified to know what works best and their quote would reflect this. They will also have to adhere to a code of practice when surveying the property. This code of practice requires them to be fair and honest and there are consequences if they are not!

In breif a quote to high or to small doesnt mean much. Dont be tempted to go on cost, but listen to their knowlage and expertice

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 pm