Damp Proofing Porch Floor and Can't see a DPM
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

Brams
Labourer
Labourer

Damp Proofing Porch Floor and Can't see a DPM

by Brams » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:27 pm

Since we moved in 10 years ago our Porch has always been freezing from autumn to spring. I decided to do something about it this year by removing the horrible red/brown floor tiles (never liked them anyway) only to discover water/condensation on the back of a few tiles. I suspect the previous owner might have built the porch extension himself (absolute Muppet BTW) & hasn't laid a damp proof membrane below the main floor, hence the cold all the time. There is 1 course of brick above the outside level, then a DPC, then stonework for the wall but the inside floor is the same level as the top of the brickwork. I have chipped away some of the floor near the wall but cant find any DPM.
What are my options to vapour barrier the floor to enable me to lay a vapour barrier/insulating underlay/laminate flooring?? Do I need to kango out the floor to lay a membrane & relay the floor? If I do, then how deep do I go?
Honestly the more work from the previous owner I find the more I want to put a hit out on him!

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:01 pm