Damp smell coming from new indoor manhole!
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dazzler51
Labourer
Labourer

Damp smell coming from new indoor manhole!

by dazzler51 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:38 am

Hi there,

We've just had an extension built on our house, which covered an existing manhole/inspection chamber in the garden. To maintain access to the manhole in the new room, the builders have double sealed the lid of the manhole as normal and the floor has been laid over the top (but with a cover cut out so that you can get access to the chamber when needed). All good, but unfortunately since the builders left we have noticed a permanent damp, musty, earthy smell coming from under the cover. It's not a drain/sewage smell - just damp. We have a suspended timber floor in the extension so there is a cavity between the manhole itself and the floor above. I'm guessing that the smell is not coming from the manhole itself, but from the cavity in between the floor and the concrete foundations?
Is this common, and is there anything we can do about it?

Many thanks,
Darren

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:24 pm

ASSUMING THE UNDERFLOOR HAS BEEN MEMBRANED AND OVERLAYED WITH CONCRETE AND THAT ADIQUATE VENTILATION HAS BEEN INSTALLED (AIR BRICKS) THEN THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF TO PREVENT SMELLS COMING INTO YOUR HOME IS TO FIT THE ACCESS HATCH WITH AN AIR TIGHT SEAL. (RUBBER SEAL AND SCREW DOWN HATCH).

ALDER.

dazzler51
Labourer
Labourer

by dazzler51 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:37 am

Thanks Alder. I've spoken to a couple of people about it and they all seem to suggest that the smell is merely the timbers are other materials drying out after the build and that the smell should go in 6-12 months' time. Hope so! thanks.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:30 am