have been in 1930s house for over ten years, in the last year have notice damp patches on wall of back reception room where there used to be a chimney breasting which the previous occupant took out, next door only has damp on his breasting upstairs of which we have only a tiny bit. these patches get worse when it rains. have had whole chimney on roof repointed and tiles checked, no damp in attic on breasting. insurance company say they wont cover us so have to sort ourselves. Have recently lost a chinese hat off one of the chimneys but would this really cause this problem. Would it be worth us capping all our chimney pots and is it worth us lining the chimneys, have heard you can get something to do that.