Over a two month period my upstairs neighbour's boiler leaked and as a result my living room wall has mould growing on it and smells of damp. My bathroom which is adjacent has had a mushroom grow out of the ceiling but my council landlord has no interest in doing anything besides suggest 'airing' the place out which isn't realistic in winter. Waiting for it to dry out naturally could take 'months'. I got a dehumidifier in for a week and that seemed to make things much better but after it's removal the problem seems to be getting back to normal. If anyone has any ideas how to speed up this process, how to get rid of the mould or even let me know what the protocol should be then please let me know as I'm sure it isn't healthy to live in? All help is much appreciated.
If you aren't willing to open windows in winter then in the absence of other ways to remove moisture a bathroom will often become a very damp place. Are you sure the damp is still coming from the leak rather than from condensation?
I do open the windows but it makes the place very cold. The damp is from above as it is the ceiling that is getting the speckles in the corner and where the mushroom grew. The rest of the bathroom is fine. The surveyor told me it was an emersion tank leaking upstairs that has caused this. I've no reason to believe it could be anything else as I've been there 2 years and have had no problems before the recent leak.
DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!