Damp Wall in garage
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
aeyres
Apprentice
Apprentice

Damp Wall in garage

by aeyres » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:14 pm

I've had a damp garage (detached) for a while, but have slowly worked on it to reduce the damp inside. New roof, re-sealed windows, re-pointed brickwork & applied a bituminous paint band to the external brickwork to bottom 2 courses below DPC.
The above work seems to have alleviated the damp on 3 sides to a degree, but i have 1 wall i have no external access to as my neighbours garage is built next to it.
There is still low level damp to this wall (below DPC) Do you think applying the bituminous paint to the inside faces of the brickwork on this wall will help?
Any other suggestions would be welcomed

NewtonM
Apprentice
Apprentice

Damp Garage

by NewtonM » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:16 pm

It may help, it depends on whether the ground level on the neighbours elevation is below or above your dpc.

If it is then there is a risk of water penetration so the bituminous paint although probably the cheapest option may not work. (you could try it though)

The full approach would be to put a physical membrane dimpled sheet mechanically fixed down that elevation forming a air gap barrier so if any forms of dampness occur it will allow the wall to dry out and there will be no evidence of damp on the inside. The other benefit of this is that it will not "push" damp anywhere else the paint if it does work may push the dampness to other areas of the structure.

Hope this helps.

Warren Muschialli

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:48 pm