Damp wall
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

tony77
Apprentice
Apprentice

Damp wall

by tony77 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:52 pm

HI,

We had a leaking gutter a while back and started to get some rising damp in our hallway- directly adjacent to where water had been leaking. The area outside is our side ally- which is made up of shingle style stones piled on top of earth- a quick fix by the previous owners

We had the damp proof course applied again- under the terms of our damp guarantee the company came along and injected the problem wall. (They charged in like bulls in a china shop and before i knew it were drilling into the walls from the inside - i thought they would have gone from the outside.?) We also had the leaking gutter fixed. In addition, recently I have pulled some of the presumably damp earth from the outside path away from the affected wall. I was told that the ground level by the wall was too high, another reason for the damp. It's now lower.

After doing all these remedies our wall still seems damp and we have frosty types of plaster flaking off the wall on the inside. Should we just be patient and let the wall dry or do we still have a problem?

In addition the recent damp proof injections actually seemed to draw out a lot of damp from the hallway wall. 24 hours after the injections, other areas had damp stains- is this a good sign of the damp coming out or a bad one?

Tony

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:26 am