Damp/wet above main bedroom window
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Loudob
Labourer
Labourer

Damp/wet above main bedroom window

by Loudob » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:37 pm

Hi all, I wondered if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction as to what could be causing the dampness shown in the pic.
We had our double glazing replaced 3/4 months ago and since then, we have had dampness and mould above our main bedroom window. This isn't something we've experienced before. The window itself is dry and doesn't really suffer from condensation.
I removed the mould a couple of weeks ago but this morning it was wet again, as shown in the pic. It was a cold but dry morning.
Could the installation of the new windows be causing this issue, or is it just a coincidence and the problem is actually something else?
Many thanks in advance for any ideas.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (14.61 KiB) Viewed 9881 times

thedoctor

Re: Damp/wet above main bedroom window

by thedoctor » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:46 pm

This looks very much likecondensation and can be cured really easily with a trickle vent inserted into the top section of window frame.I'm surprised the window has been fitted without one.

See our project page on fitting trickle vents to windows https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/trickle-vents.htm

The problem arises because, without any gaps for it to escape through, warm air in the room (which carries a lot of water) condenses on a cooler surface. This is more fully explained on our page about condensation.

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/condensation.htm

Loudob
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Damp/wet above main bedroom window

by Loudob » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:01 am

Thank you for your reply, and apologies for my delayed reply!
There is a trickle vent on the other side of the window which we have open all the time.
The window people came back to have another look and they think the problem is with a crack they found next to the window. Do you think this could be causing the issue?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (26.95 KiB) Viewed 9846 times

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:50 am