Damp Woes in Office Converted from Internal Garage
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
itsbrokenagain
Labourer
Labourer

Damp Woes in Office Converted from Internal Garage

by itsbrokenagain » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:58 am

Hello all

I wondered if i could beg some insight from any of you?

I have lived in my current house for a year (98 built brick property), although the issue has only recently become noticeable. My house had an internal garage, this was converted years ago to an office, so the concrete floor was raised up, door bricked up and a big double glazed window added, and walls plastered etc etc.

Recently we noticed that after a decent amount of rain, we notice a musty damp smell in this room. I did some poking around and i can see signs of water inside along the front wall on the carpet underlay where the garage door used to be, but primarily in the corner (near the outside gutter downpipe).

I thought the downpipe might be blocked, so took that down and checked, and ran my hose down that drain for 10 minutes, no issues......

So i am a bit stuck now what the issue is, last night i hosed down the whole area washing any mud etc away, and shortly after the smell was very strong, so i am thinking this must be the standing water in the ground penetrating in? What i dont get is how the water is rising the 10 inches or so to get high enough to the internal floor....

I attached some pictures of the outside area, does anyone have any ideas what i might start investigating first?

Thanks in advance
Attachments
Capture2.JPG
Capture1.JPG

thedoctor

Re: Damp Woes in Office Converted from Internal Garage

by thedoctor » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:11 pm

Hi

This sounds like there is a gap allowing the water to get in somewhere around the area that the large window has been installed, probably at ground level.

Either that or lack of damp proof course or membrane in the floor allow water to rise up or the existing damp proof course (if there is one in the garage area) has been bridged through the raising of the floor.

We have quite a few projects relating to damp issues that would probably be worth reading through and diagnosing against your own property: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/diy-how-to-type/damp.htm

Hope this helps

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:27 pm