damp wooden shed roof
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

js2000
Labourer
Labourer

damp wooden shed roof

by js2000 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:18 pm

hi - here's hoping someone can help me with this one:

i'm replacing the roofing felt on my garden shed because previous owner put on roofing felt without any overhang resulting in water getting into wood under felt and damp spreading across roof.

shed is 3m long and the worst damp patch spreads about 75cm in from the edge and there are other small patches of damp at intervals around the edge.

inside the shed a small amount of water drips through onto a high level shelf worryingly near to electric sockets.

today i removed the old felt and placed new felt in position but didn't fix it down as i'm not sure how best to deal with the damp roof.

so before fixing down the new roofing felt how should i deal with the damp wood?

should i leave damp patches uncovered for a few days, hope it doesn't rain and hope it dries out sufficiently?

or should i fix the felt down and hope that the wood dries out in time? or does doing this simply seal in the moisture and eventually rot the roof?