dampness or leaky patio doors
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
the-demi-god
Apprentice
Apprentice

dampness or leaky patio doors

by the-demi-god » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:38 pm

I discovered we had a leak in the patio door sill last winter so water was draining in, instead of out. Got it fixed and over the summer it had dried out We also resealed the top of the door on the outside and although it could have been done better we reconed it would hold us over the winter and come spring we would take all the sealant back out and do a more permenant job. I was going to use a wood hardener inside to protect the floor & joists etc where the damp had penetrated but noticed the floor damp again. It is beyond me to do anything more with it so I need to get someone in to look at it.

So here is the question the doors are now 15years old. Would I be better getting them replaced by a company who just replace doors and glazing and asking the company to make sure they are properly sealed, or do I get a builder to find out where the dampness is coming from and take the chance that it wont cost a lot more if he just replaces the doors. I dont want to pay over the odds if I can help it, but I also want the problem solved properly.

Any input would be appreciated

Sandra

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: dampness or leaky patio doors

by welsh brickie » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:43 am

Get a price first for replacement doors,15 years old has lasted you well the new doors will be more secure,heat efficent and will last at least 15 years.
The repair will only last so long before problems resurface and you will have to pay again.Also ask your insurance company they may pay for it.

the-demi-god
Apprentice
Apprentice

by the-demi-god » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi

I kind of thought that but was worried that I was not addressing the wet problem first and so replacing would not solve the problem.

Thank you for your input. I had not thought of the insurance. Have not claimed in over 20 years Will they not just say it is wear and tear ie tough!

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:30 am

get a quote from a builder and ask him to stress that due to storm damage the damp is affecting the timber flooring and new doors are needed,which is true.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:19 am